Care leavers and benefits: giving good advice

Year: 2017
Topic: Throughcare and aftercare
Author: CPAG, Staf

Many 16 and 17-year olds who've been ‘looked after away from home’ by the local authority can't get income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, housing benefit or universal credit. Instead, the local authority which last looked after them is responsible for providing financial and housing support.

This briefing explains the special benefit rules affecting some young care leavers.