Beyond the Headlines: Going to university from care
Topic: Education, Legislation
This is the first in a series of our Beyond the Headlines briefings aiming to provide further information and analysis on some commonly reported statistics relating to children and young people in care, care leavers, and care experienced people in Scotland.
In this briefing, we look at the issue of only a small proportion of care experienced young people going to university, compared to a far greater proportion of their peers.
We look to answer:
- What do we need to know beyond the headlines?
- Why school leaving age matters
- Why enrolment data capturing care experience matters
- Why declaring a care identify matters
- Why supporting students with care experience matters.